Friday, October 24, 2008

The English PR

I moved from London, UK to Toronto, Canada last year. We speak the same language and the Queen projects her silver and chrome smile from our countries' respective royal mints. How reassuring. Like these there are other seemingly obvious similarities that on the surface provide a cushion of familiarity until that is, you sit on it and realise that it's nothing more than a 'Whoopee' cushion.

Behind the velvet rope lurks a complex cultural machine that if left unattended will mangle your extremities unless you jump on and steer the beast with the energy of a rookie and the wisdom of a CEO; the cultural shock amplified as the rug of 'familiarity' is pulled out from under you.

I expect this in Bangkok but Toronto? surely not.

I'll explain. I'm your archetypal PR girl who's worked her way up the ranks. I married a Canuck and thought let's move to that lovely country Canada (which it is) . What could go wrong? I have all this experience and knowledge, (bar the unfortunate downturn in the economy) what self respecting multi-national company would not want what I've got to offer?

Most, is the answer. Why? Well unlike the UK where either because the market has traditionally been bigger or more boyant or whether the Brits are happy-go-lucky risk takers - finding a job in PR say, is a walk in the park so long as you have the credentials. Here on the other hand as I'm discovering, if you don't know someone who knows someone you can take your credentials and save them for when the toilet paper runs out.

So I've had to put my British meritogratic tendencies to one side and instead network like my life depends on it. I feel a bit like Elvis Presley's daughter trying to make it on her own..only I can sing so to speak.

The good news is - I'm actually enjoying this networking malarkey and have met some very wise and helpful Canadian business leaders. In fact by the time I do finally get a job in communications or PR, I'll probably have had a coffee or at least a glass of water with everyone on Bloor and Yonge, Bay and Front and other significant outposts.

So to all the Brits out there who want to come here you will have to put your British reserve aside and be bold. Likewise to the Canadians who'd like to try London on for size; Forget your mother's uncle's cousin - you'll want to get on that portfolio like a fat kid on a smartie.

No comments: