Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sympathy for the Devil


I woke up 5 days ago with the worst case of pink eye I've ever had. It's only the second time in my life I've had an eye infection and that first time was 'rien du tout'. This time, well you have to see it to believe it - an irony not lost on me as I struggle to focus through inflamed membrane. So I've posted a picture to thoroughly gross you out - this is me after 5 days of anti-biotics. I don't know why I'm smiling either.
The sensible person in me, and you have to look very very deep for her wants to believe it was bad luck, an unfortunate brush with a less than meticulous make -up artist used at my sister in law's wedding. But the person who plays me in real life knows my immune system, disabled by stress and general unhappiness meant I was unable to shrug off what might otherwise have been a day or so of discomfort. Oh woe is me or like my husband likes to say: Boo hoo for you.
- Darling, I've got really bad conjunctivitis!
- Oh boo hoo for you
- Darling, I'm so unhappy I've been considering ending it all
- Oh boo hoo for you
...and so on and so forth.
To me, this is my body's way of sounding the alarm and I've taken note. More meditation, less bollocks and a practical plan out of the corporate world where I find myself in the unsavoury position of working for a bully - not to be mistaken for a mad genius or a hard task master. Or perhaps this is just the rhetoric of failure. Whatever it is, there is no place for bad in business. I'll be correcting downward dog poses long before it gets the true better of me.
A trip to Europe will right it all for now - misery loves company and my mates await me with pint in hand and maybe, just maybe I'll miss Canada. Stranger things have happened.

No comments: