Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Full Circle

Day 2 at the in-law's house in Hamilton, Ontario - where it all began 2.5 years ago.  What a difference 2.5 years of uphill misery makes.  Ok, not 2.5 years maybe just 2.1 years because the last 5 months have indeed been very special.  But here I am once again.  However (and for obvious reasons) this time it feels very different. 

Yes, I'm going home in less than two weeks, that much I think everybody and their wife, and the wife's dog and the dog's fleas know.  But more than that, I have stuff to do that doesn't involve packing tape.  I have albums to review - 7 of the buggers before I leave these here shores - I owe it to the courageous artists that dare to live the dream.  Check out the most recent here.  I have also just come from a pedicure by someone I know (how about that? I know someone! in the burbs) who knows me well enough to want to tell me what's been going on in her life and I gratefully and engagingly listen.  Then I sit, alone with a book at a table in the adjoining vegetarian cafe while I wait for my nails to properly dry because I WALKED!  yes, I am currently waiting out my sentence in a town where interesting and useful places are walking distance and I really didn't feel lonely as has been the leitmotif of the last two years. No more do I need to feel the dread of the front door's beep at 6:30 AM signalling the departure of Sausage Fingers leaving for work as his movements trigger the alarm and the start of a long, lonely, unproductive and uninspiring day for me.  To be fair, that ended with Yoga - but never let the truth get in the way of a good moan.

Goodbye Oakville.  Hello life.  The house is empty as my heart! The shippers having come yesterday to take every last shred of evidence with them.   Cars? gone.  Unwanted furniture - 98% sold.  Really I couldn't have asked for a smoother ride of this transition (I'm touching wood here, cos it ain't over til it's over) and now it's time to sit out the next couple of weeks gracefully and respectfully...how am I doing?  Ok don't answer that.

So that's all I have to say for today.  Back to life, back to reality, back to the here and now, yeah!  Soul 2 Soul beat me to those lyrics and I couldn't have put it better myself anyway.

No comments: