Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Living is Easy

Ok, so I didn't do any better at all this week in terms of blogging but it's 32 degrees in London.  This is the weather of everyone's youth. I can't stay indoors blogging!!

It's a lovely dry heat.  Perfect for pub patios which is incidentally where I've been 'working' from since the beginning of July.  I've been snacking on sunshine, proper grazing because I'm beginning to look like a Mulberry bag.  I also have 2 weeks coming up in Portugal; going to my oldest friend's wedding.  We've known eachother since we were babies.  I'm very much looking forward to this - I love a good party, but also to spending 2 weeks in retro holiday mode consisting of  sunbathing, sunbathing and more sunbathing.  It takes me back to my teen years going to Alicante with my mum where she had a summer house.   It was made of egg shells.  You could hear the neighbour zipping his flies up, the walls were that thin.  But OH the fun we all had.  I had to sell it eventually after my mum passed.  I held onto it for 7 years afterwards, but the holidays there were never the same.

Memories of holidays with my mum - the original sun worshipper - become fuzzier as years pass.  It goes without saying that I miss those times.  I want Portugal to be for The Lish, what I used to have with my mummy.  We'd spend days at the beach toasting.  Nights out on the roof patio - our house a veritable Private Members Club for select neighbours who would dribble in and out all evening bringing food, wine and anecdotes.  I would duck out after a bit and disappear into the night with my gang to do stuff kids don't discuss with parents - nothing sordid...just under age sex and drinking...not really 'Breakfast Club' stuff - I've always been a massive prude.  And now I'm just a massive prune.  I'm brown as a berry! and I'm not alone.

Two looks sweeping the nation at the moment are: The Californian raisin and the polished pink snooker ball.

I leave you with a couple of pictures of 'my beach' in The Costa Blanca.  Witness to many rites of passage. You have to trek through thick fragrant pine scrub to get to the sand.  Ah, Happy Days.

PLAYA LAS DUNAS - GUARDAMAR SEGURA, ALICANTE


No comments: