Saturday, June 25, 2011

One more day, one more hour


If having it all means doing it all, and I believe that is exactly what it means, then I'm sorry. Not interested.  When you work, have a child and your other half is away on business and half the team at work are on annual leave, time doesn't fly - it transponds.  Last week was so incredibly manic that between school runs, frantic news generation (I work in PR)  and you know, a little thing called life (shopping, cooking, eating and maybe fitting in the odd shower and yoga session), Monday became Friday in the blink of an eye.  In fact I was convinced it was only Thursday on Friday because I needed one more day to fit everything in. That will be my epitaph.  Just give me one more day.

Of course come Saturday morning, all I wanted to do was loll around in bed - preferably asleep - but the chances of that, with a 5 year old (seemingly into paganism) around are pretty slim and this morning was no exception however I knew that in order to buy myself an extra hour in bed, I'd need to get Lish Losh set up with breakfast and children's TV.  It sort of works in that you do get to stay in bed a little longer but once you've been roused from that beautiful state of REM sleep, it's pretty much Game Over.  So I got a coffee and reached over the side of the bed for my book.  I'm currently reading about the life of Isabella Blow - stylist, icon and fashion guru. 

The rest of the day did take a much more laid back flavour.  Library. Park. TV. 
 
Here's a curious thing.  At the library I went to check some more books out - I admit to being a total book junkie.  I read two, sometimes three at the same time - always have.  It's weird I know, but I can't help myself, and the librarian points me in the direction of what looked like a soft drinks dispenser.
Piss take

Turns out it's a self service customer point.  A nice way of telling you to: Do it yourself!  So now you can check out, return and pay overdue fees without the can need of a person.  Already you can reserve and check for books online.  You can renew books online too.  Am I the only one here worried about the fate of the round-shouldered, tofu eating, bicycle riding, leather patch wearing humble librarian? 

I have a librarian friend, who sometimes reads the drivel I post here and I wonder what she makes of these machines? Whatever next?  Reading circle via Skype?  That's what I remember most about my childhood library - weekly visits with my school class for reading time followed by the mad rush to borrow the handful of copies of the book the librarian had just read to us from. 

Anyway, tomorrow is Sunday and I'm hoping to get a proper lie in.  I hope that having allowed Lishy to stay up a little later than usual, she will be so amazingly exhausted, she won't wake up until oohhh at least 8am tomorrow. 

I wonder when the tipping point happens? - you know - when kids stop acting like Pagans up at the crack of dawn like they're celebrating the summer solstice or something to the scornful, loathesome bags of hormones that can't get out of bed before 11?

Actually I'm not sure what's worse; sleep deprivation or life with a teenager?

No comments: