Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Milestones and miracles

Flippin' eck it didn't take long to go from "I wouldn't say I was missing work..." to doing nothing but.  Still, I like to remind myself when the going gets tough and I start to obsess about the Euromillions, that it felt far far worse to have nothing to do and little money to spend on women's fripperies.

So, we got the flat - did I say? After 5 months of to-ing and fro-ing with the solicitors about "stuff" we finally exchanged. We get the keys in mid September and so we must bid farewell to this unbelievable area...for now at least and move into the NW2 postcode - the last postcode lived in by UK's most prolific serial killer, Dennis Nilsen. Which is just marvellous.  No joke.  Still, he is behind bars and he lived 2 full streets away.  (Note to self: stock up on karma purifying incense).

So with contracts signed and bank account emptied, I feel I can rejoice.  A home owner again with that all important anchor in London.  For the silverback it's a nice investment, but for me...it's home. And here it is: (well the front room, kitchen and couple of the bedrooms)




Nice ennit?  Sadly this isn't my furniture but I'm taking note.  Usually at times like this, you know milestone markers I would normally not be able to resist a little melancholia and think about another thing I can't share with my mother who has been gone 18 years this month.  Hard to believe, even harder to accept.  But you know, whether it's the yoga, the enormous amounts of Vitamin B Complex I ingest daily, the 'maturity' that finally comes with turning 40 ( as I'm doing this Sunday) or maybe it's knowing what rock bottom really feels like (thanks Canada - I owe ya) that I'm just grateful.  No more no less.

It's a fucking miracle.




No comments: