Thursday, March 15, 2012

Over The Edge sent me Over The Rainbow

Last night I went to the British Film Institute with my friend "the film fanatic".  I do not exaggerate when I say he has seen EVERY release London has shown in the last 25 years - worth watching and even some that weren't.  I kid you not.  This is a boy who would stay up into the wee small hours to watch the Oscar's live in the days before cable TV when you had to wait for Channel 4 to air it.  He is of course a BFI member, has attended creative writing courses, has turned his hand to writing screenplays and bought (or begged or borrowed) a Hi-Eight camera with the serious intent of "making a film" and you know what I say? Good on him.  Fair play to the fella.  I wish him well. 

He works in market research.

Anyhoo.  He never fails me on a night out at the flicks so I don't usually pay too close attention to what the film is called or about, even though the last time round he did take me to see a 70s cult horror movie called "The Corpse Grinders".  Less said the better.  Last night was no exception.  I had no real idea what I was off to see.


Turns out the BFI is running a series of what it calls: Screen Epiphanies where a different famous writer, producer or film maker of some description is invited along each week to share the film that most inspired their life and career.  Well on the night I went, it was the turn of director Joe Cornish (Attack the Block, The Adam & Joe Show) and his screen epiphany? Over the Edge. Matt Dillon's first film.

Described in the blurb (and I really couldn't have put it more succinctly) as a modern youth classic, it is a film I had for a long time thought didn't exist.  I'd convinced myself this vague memory I had of a film with Matt Dillon as a young boy, set in a youth centre in the middle of a sort of desert town was merely a composite of myriad early 80s teen angst films.  The reason being that I had never been able to find it again after that one time I watched it at the age of 14, in my bedroom going through the similar nihilistic affectations.  It resonated and titillated.  And then it just disappear.  Over the years I tried to remember what it was called to see if I could find it somewhere but with no luck.  Then the t'internet came along and with it came a renewed fervour to try again.  I would go through bouts of Googling but nothing would ever come of my efforts.  In the end - I figured it just didn't exist.

That there should be such a place as New Grenada (the fictional town where the film is set) where bored cool as crap kids had created such a Bohemian environment entranced me.  The location -  an eye-wateringly boring modern suburban shithole is echoed in such films as The Breakfast Club etc.. and they owe it to Over the Edge.

The IMDb site gives the following synopsis- why reinvent the wheel?  So here goes:

 "New Grenada is a planned community set in the desert where there is nothing for the kids to do, save for a rec center - which closes at 6 PM. The parents, in their zeal to attract industry to their town, have all but neglected their children. As a result, the kids begin to create their own entertainment, which involves vandalism, theft, and general hooliganism. During an incident when one of the kids brandishes an unloaded gun at town cop Ed Doberman, he is shot and killed. When the parents gather the next night to discuss the killing and the level of lawlessness among the youth, they soon find out that their kids have had all they can take." 

A full blown riot ensues where the disenfranchised pre-teens trash their junior high school and carpark - a 15 minute sequence during which the terrified adults are locking inside the school.

But the film boasts more subtle accomplishments: a brilliant integration of rock music mirrors not just the "punk" mood but turns viewers to listeners drawing mind, body and soul  into a specific era completely.

Joe Cornish's reasons for liking this film so much are uncannily similar to mine  - 'cept he had the whaddya call it?...vision and talent to go onto become a film director.  Me? Well, I just went onto watch loads of films.  And where would the film industry be without people like me and my film fanatic friend eh?  I ask ya?  eh?

But there is more.  Turns out this is also Kurt Cobain's favourite film.  Credited in fact with inspiring the "grunge" look - particularly the blond fella second from left in the image (plays the character of Claude).  So there you have it.   Ground breaking.

But look don't take it from me - watch it for yourself.  Then tell me the 14 year old in you doesn't relate.

No comments: