Thursday, May 2, 2019

People watching is the only reason I will travel these days


I'm always so surprised to see how long it's taken me between posts.. I really shouldn't be. And I always feel the need to apologise, quickly followed by a wry comment usually alluding to why it hardly matters.  It's not like the Government is relying on an update from me to set the treasury forecast (*see?*). And let's also be honest - I'm the only reader of this blog.  I'm a reader - writer, like a singer-songwriter minus the singing and the song.

Anyway, I'm in Indianapolis today - the airport to be exact.  I'm (hopefully) on my way back to Blightey, though I have to admit, it's looking worryingly foggy out there.  I can only hope that this is 'normal' for airlines and pilots in the Mid-West.  I came over for work.  I've seen the airport terminal, the highway, the inside of my hotel, the road I cross to get to the office and the inside of the office.  And this morning I did that sight seeing tour in reverse.

So here I am 4 hours early to catch a domestic flight into Atlanta where the real journey so to speak begins.  I refer to the knicker soiling part of any travel for me, the long haul in a supersonic jet that somehow gets 35,000 feet up in the air with a bunch of fat bastards on it.  It's 10:38 am and that flight isn't until this evening...but I have set a timer alerting me to when it will ' no longer be too early to drink alcohol' in order to begin anaesthetising.

A glass of bubbly is the usual tipple for breakfast...so I'm good to go.  Hard spirits can kick in at midday when it's more publicly acceptable, and then after that basically anything and everything goes.  I'm looking for that comfortably numb feeling when I won't care if Snoopy dressed as The Red Baron clambers onboard and takes his seat in the cockpit.

Cabin crew to cross check

I've never been the best traveller - truth be told and as I've aged, I've picked up as unpleasant a harpy as I've become, that inconsiderate mistress - anxiety.  Apparently this can be a side effect of menopause.  Brilliant.

Here's how it manifested this time round.  A few months in advance of this trip, I had a will drawn up, as in a Last Will and Testament type thing-a-ma-gig.  I called all my pensions and updated the beneficiary to my daughter and I told my best friend where I keep my best trinkets to ensure that should anything happen to me - The Lish is to get everything.  And most importantly my ex -husband is not to get a single bean.

So as you can see, perfectly rational behaviour.  I also had to ask my boyfriend if he would take the cat.  He is more of a dog person.  It's a big ask.  He said yes.  Which is nice.

I think I might need help.

Getting to the point of today's post.  People are weird eh?  I've just watched 2 portly Americans wipe each other's trousers down with wet wipes.  Presumably they are too fat to bend down far enough to do their own.  Actually that's quite ingenious.

Anyhoo, should a year go by and this blog remain without update, then the plane has gone down and I did the right thing.
A picture to remember me by

No comments: