Wednesday, December 16, 2009

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas...

...if only Canada were so lucky.

Let me step away for a moment now from the world of mystical union a.k.a Yoga; While it plays a very important part in my search for enlightenment (of which a long and winding road remains) I must now turn my attentions to the very un-Zen world of Christmas shopping for it is that time of year again and the thought of what to get certain family members is nibbling away at my sleep credit.

There are in this world 3 types of people to buy presents for. One: the vapid kind who are overjoyed to the point of nervous collapse at receiving a home baked cookie they will never eat, definitely re-gift and spend the rest of the year silently berating you for it. Two: the sergeant major who starts telling you in January what they like in a way that is obvious they mean for you to buy it for them at Christmas. These people tend to have everything already and you will never ever impress them so don't beat yourself up trying to surprise them because they won't appreciate it, they will simply conclude that you weren't listening and three: angels - the people in your life whose efforts and presence you don't validate anywhere near enough during the year and for whom a present must now represent that recognition you didn't give. So, no pressure.

These invariably are the hardest to buy for. I have at present 2 angels. My mother in law and yes....I have to admit it...my long suffering husband who is this year giving me the most valuable gift of a glimpse at repatriation - of which more later when a clearer picture has formed or not as the case may be.

So the word for today is generosity. I am off to find a gift that best represents my appreciation for these guys. I may be some time. Luckily this year I am not limited to scouring main street/high street name shops in just the one mall as I have become a highway driver extraordinaire and can now allow myself the choice of scouring the same shops in many different malls.

If they made universal ski passes or gift cards for Ontario pubs then I'd be sorted for a present for the other half. Perhaps I could get him a DIY chip that is surgically implanted and transforms sausage-fingered destroyer of all man-made things into Uber repair king...no wait that would be a present for me. So you see, I'm a little at a loss. Must think fast as time is running out. Nothing will ever really represent my gratitude for everything my mother in law has done for me these past two years...it's almost pointless but I will try.

Me? well since you ask ;) - I need a new cistern for the ensuite bathroom as the toilet leaks and it's driving me insane plus new windscreen wipers as I ripped the rubber off one in an attempt to pull it free from the frozen glass beneath it this morning. Thankfully this is the last Canadian winter for me and THAT my dears is the only present I need.

No comments: