Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Meltdown!

Either I'm having an adverse reaction to caffeine or someone has been spiking my breakfast cereals with crack because this morning as I walked The Lish to daycare, I became convinced that a group of young Iranian looking men (no offence to Iranian looking men) were intent on kidnapping my little girl.  Why else would they suddenly stop in mid conversation after watching me negotiate the zebra crossing that joins Maida Vale to Kilburn High Road, the breeding ground for extreme tat among other things and start following at a less than comfortable distance? Not only that, they were displaying signs of ambush-like behaviour with two men following at a trot - since by this point I was dragging The Lish along the pavement by her arms like a paralized dog and one other crossing the road to overtake me. 

I began to panic.  So I stopped in front of a big hotel, in fact it turned out to be the most perilous thing I could have done given the revolving door was on automatic (we weren't expecting that) and it almost made pink pancakes out of myself and the nipper.  But it seemed to do the trick.  The boys dispersed.  I made it to the daycare, careful to check I wasn't being followed.  I tapped in the code for the door using my arm to shield the precious information from prying eyes, a bit like a child would to take a school test.

Disaster averted.  I deposited the cargo at reading circle and made my way home.  I walked the long way through the park to confuse anyone following me and decided to stop at the sports pavillion to view a room I want to hire for the Yoga open house I have planned.  The thinking being, I could kill two birds with one stone: throw those criminals off the scent and conduct long overdue personal business.  The room was unavailable for viewing.  Do you want to know why?

There was a ruddy great police convention taking place.  Suddenly I decided I'd rather take my chances with the Iranians than risk being caught up in a roomful of officers from the British Constabulary.  So I quick marched it outta there sharpish! 

Of course it turned out there was no conspiracy - the boys having long ago taken a seat at a coffee shop to enjoy a hookah or two.  All I'm left with now is whiplash from looking over my shoulder and the feeling that I've been rather silly.

No comments: