Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's like I've turned a corner or something

Let me set the scene for this beautiful day.  I'm at the kitchen table, the kitchen in Warwick Avenue, London that overlooks private tennis courts.  The sun is trying to kiss the rooftops through a veil of early morning mist.  I feel lucky and happy to be here.  Ah - the kettle has just boiled and crumpets have popped out of the toaster, as if it could, it's about to get better.

I must admit that while Sunday precedes Monday and on Monday we all step into the vortex of the working week - there is something very rejuvenating about an early Sunday morning.  It feels like that release of being given a second chance; a sort of opportunity to start a fresh.  Do you know what I mean?  A whole new world of fresh choices packaged up into the first couple of hours of the day.   This feeling should be the domain of a Saturday really don't you think? And yet, Saturday morning feels more like the recovery room of a hospital OR (at least it does to me .)

The Lish and I have now moved to the front room where the white light of the early morning also fills the room.  We're watching Tiny Pops (kids TV) - Captain Mack.  If you have to watch a children's TV programme, I would recommend this one; It's full of cleverly hidden double-entendres and ridiculous plots that have actually made me belly laugh - a nice change from the usual condescending drivel.  Captain Mack's punchlines include: "I'm a sky captain - I know everything." and "I have to go, my monkey needs me."

In other news, we've seen a house - oh and it's a good-un but a lot of things need to happen before I can start telling you all about it here.  Just send me the good vibes please that we get a stab at going for it.

Earlier in the week, I went to see Vernon God Little at the Young Vic Theatre.  What an amazing production.  I read the book years and years ago in Thailand I think.  It was a period in my life where I pummelled through books at the rate of one every couple of days - that's a backpacker's life.  A couple of books stayed with me out of the 100s (and I mean 100s of books I managed to get through in 2 years of travel - yep 2 years.)  Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre is one. It was his debut novel and won the Booker Prize in 2003.  Damage Done is another -  an Australian's 12 years of hell in Bangkok's most notorious prison and probably The Pursuit of Love, a tragi-comic story of love in the 40s - a book every young woman who is led by her heart should read.

I could not imagine how you could start to stage a a high school masacre set in deepest darkest Texas. Vernon Godfrey Little is a 15 year old who when his friend Jesus Navarro commits suicide after killing sixteen bullying schoolmates becomes something of a scapegoat in his small hometown of Martirio. Fearing the death penalty, he goes on the run to Mexico.  The Guardian says this about the stage adaptation: ‘Biliously funny… a helter-skelter portrait of a crazy world.'

I couldn't (and I mean could not at all) have said it better myself. If it tours your town - go see it. And read the book too. You won't be disappointed with either.
In other news, The Lish went to London Zoo and saw a donkey.

No comments: