Sunday, July 22, 2012

Dingle Dongle


Week one at the new place in the new role with the new boss and the new routine.  All I can say is...I made it. 

Let me rewind a little by way of contextualising what comes next by telling you what happened before.  By some "rainman" like miracle calculation, I managed to coincide my last day at the old place with the office summer party.  The repercussions of a most re-donku-lous performance at said party left me incapacitated and unable to do anything more than watch TV at a 90 degree angle the whole weekend that followed.  Not the best way to prepare for Day 1 at a new job.  In my defence the booze was free and actually it took a lot less to get this way than it once did.  A small underestimation of what the body at 40 really thinks of binge drinking.  I have not touched a drop since and I intend for this to be the status quo going forward.

So come last Monday, I was not really in any condition to endure an hour and a half commute into Slough where this job is based.  To top it all off, and of course by way of renal revenge - I woke up with not one but two cold sores.   My hair was all wrong, my belly distended from all the alcohol sugar and motivation was on the floor.  Way to set the tone for the week.  Let's see, I spent that first day f-ing up all the IT systems.  The second getting them fixed and the third wondering if I'd made the right decision.  But by the fourth day, I had an epiphany because despite feeling and looking like a cow had pooped me out and the fact the tubes and trains had all got together to orchestrate delays and cancellations every single day last week  (my hair was noticeably thinner by Thursday) I noticed that all had been forgotten by mid-morning.  I came to the conclusion that the job rocks out with its BLEEP out.  And that's because not only is it one juicy brief - it's a 21st century work environment.

Each day whether I arrive at 9 or 10 no-one bats an eyelid.  The boss puts it another way - work is something you do not somewhere you go. We are equipped to work from the public toilets at Paddington if we so wish.  I have secure ID, an i-phone, laptop, free wi-fi and when I can't get wi-fi I have a Dongle. Double edge sword?  I mean if you're 'always-on' could you fall into the habit of never switching off?  I'll let you know. 

For now...I've had 2 emails all weekend...I think that's pretty good going.  Remind me to re-read this when the going gets a little tough!



No comments: