Monday, July 2, 2012

A lot to answer for...

I took this picture a few weeks ago on holiday with The Silverback and The Lish; First family get-away since last summer.
Beautiful no? Awesome in fact.  Where could this be? The Amalfi Coast?  One of the Ionian Islands? Or perhaps Sardinia? This is in fact a shot from the hotel room balcony of the bay in Magalluf, Mallorca - better known as Shagalluf. A well deserved eponym.
Believe it or not and I wouldn't blame you for thinking I'd finally gone out of my beautiful (in the Russell Crowe sense) mind - delusional from all the London rain - I'm really telling you the truth - this picture was taken in Magalluf.  All the sadder then to know that greed allowed the Mallorcan to let this happen to his island...



...which in turn has done this to the beaches along the south - and I don't mean these particular girls have anything directly to do with it - but when you let your home become a party island and take no real action against those who will go just that step too far, you are also saying it's ok to do this....


And so they do.  Swimming in the sea in Magalluf, at least when we were there, was not a real option well not if you value your skin.  I may as well have jumped into a water treatment centre before the filtering stage.  When every underwater brush of the calf is caused by a plastic bag or god only knows what (I really don't want to) it was enough to send gagging back to the towel .

I had to curb The Lish and The Silverback from going in too often for fear they'd develop some nasty-assed stomach condition. Although I did try not to think about the state of the sea and beaches as I meditated to this beautiful view every morning - it was impossible almost impossible, certainly heartbreaking.



Were it not for this, Magalluf could easily stand shoulder to shoulder with the natural delights offered by Kefalonia and Capri.  Instead, I think The Silverback said it best after the first night out when we were naive enough to attempt a quiet evening stroll: "Yep. I don't think I'll be leaving the hotel after 6pm for the rest of the week".  Hear Hear.

But let's end on a note of gratitude that I was able to spend some quality R&R time with my little sea cucumber and The CFO.


No comments: