Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Business of Yoga

Kinesiology or Yoga Therapy? That is the question.  After some investigation (which is not like me at all) I've decided that it has to be Yoga Therapy.  I'm looking at expanding knowledge as a way of differentiating myself from the mat of yoga instructors in my area.  Yes, that's right, a mat of yoga instructors.  I think it is a perfect collective noun for us.  So rather than offer (albeit first class) yoga instruction that you can get at any good yoga outlet, I want to tap into segments of the population for whom the pills have stopped working - for whom the pills were never designed to work.  I'm talking about people suffering from clinical conditions - obesity, diabetes, muscular-skeletal problems (ipad back, joint probs, gen mobility etc..), depression & anxiety and all the effects of the things you are led to do when you are feeling anxious and depressed.  So I'm excited about the new YT course I'm signing up to.  Not cheap either which gives that unpalatable comfort that you're not just doing a community class in a room above a coffee shop.  No, I mean business and the type you get accredited for with letter after your name YO!  Then I'm looking at setting up a novel business model which of course I can't talk about here as that would be foolish but the roots of it start and end with the "customer".  However for now, you can find me leading class at your local church hall.  Meanwhile I myself have been drinking from the font of flexibility at the expert hands of my local Jivamukti yoga instructor. This is a more spiritual, mantra-led practice, however let this description lead you not into a false sense of security.  My inner thigh muscles are still feeling the effects of last Sunday's class...ahem...as I edge ever closer to a perfect split.  I have about 10 inches to go before groin and floor make contact or...12 years of practice.

No comments: