Thursday, September 20, 2018

Rudiment-ary

A few nights ago, I watched this extraordinary documentary - 'The Art of Drumming" - on Sky Arts.  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say, it gathered some of the greatest drummers on the planet to discuss their individual journeys to drum virtuosity.  It caught me by surprise and what a great midweek, post summer treat it turned out to be.

I was lolling on the sofa, feeling a bit sorry for myself as I've had a spot of trouble with the police, not intentional I hasten to add. And I'd had an argument with my daughter over her general attitude which had led to my boyfriend upping sticks for the evening having decided it was best he leave us to it.  He has since come back into the fray...more fool him!

I was basically letting 1st world problems get the better of me.  Turning things over and over and over in my mind willing myself to just go to sleep, per chance to dream when a face that I recognised as being that of Ginger Baker, the drummer for Cream and Blind Faith appears, like an earthly angel on the telly.

The next hour felt like a minute.  I was totally engrossed when maestro followed maestro with tales of brave Ulysses.  Ian Paice (Deep Purple), Clem Burke (Blondie), Steve Gadd (everyone from Chick Corea to Kate Bush), Bernard Purdie (BB King, James Brown, Dizzy Gillespie), Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown), Drummie Zeb (Aswad), Earl Palmer (Frank Sinatra to The Beach Boys)...to name but a few all explained not only how it all began for them but how each of today's famous beats came about.
No hope in hell of ever getting this right

All musicians remember the song that made them want to pick up an instrument or sing.  I thought about that...because I 'play' the drums, I mean compared to these deities, I don't actually come even close to what you might describe as playing the drums, but I have a drum kit and I bash the skins with sticks...so technically I play them, very un-technically.

It got me thinking.  I've been a geek all my life but a total music nerd only really from the age of about 15.  I took a stroll down disco street to hip-hop road, through the cul-de-sac of punk to the dead end of cock rock.  With emancipation (of sorts) I woke up one day firmly moved into riot grrlll squat of grunge and when I finally stopped being angry, I sat back and let it all go to Blues. 

Blues of course led to good rock for me (and funk and perhaps even a little jazz) but classic good rock became the hammock on which I settled. I say all this because throughout that journey, I was always more interested in what the drums were doing but it was only when I heard  'My Cat's Name is Maceo" by Jane's Addiction that I picked up the phone, asked my bank for a loan with which to purchase my first set of drums.   I'll admit that song is not John Bonham or Keith Moon intricate nor is it Stevie Wonder Superstition funky but to me it's perfection and it is based on the Bo Diddly beat.  So what's not to love?

Those drums were so precious to me I didn't dare drive them home myself, instead roping in my then very kind boyfriend to give us all a safe lift home.

Never misses a beat

Living in a densely populated area, I had to get electronic drums so as not to drive the neighbours bonkers, not crappy little pads mind -  I got me a set of Roland V8s - and they cost me a pretty penny too.  But I still have and play them today, almost 20 years later...so they have more than paid for themselves and might even be considered vintage today.

Well, anyway, now that I've bored you with that little yarn, I'm off to play 'em.  Thank you Sky Arts for reminding me of my passion.

Still trying







No comments: