Monday, February 16, 2009

PR for a Revolution

During one of my early nights while on holiday, I retired to my room which on this occasion had been cleaned, a nice surprise in this part of the world. After reading failed to secure my daughter's side of the bargain which was for her to go to sleep, I resorted to putting cartoons on the portable DVD and left her to it. Well, I tried the intellectual way and it failed.

I then began my nightly ritual of flicking through the hundreds of channels offered at resorts like this - they get so many nationalities they figure they may as well sign up for every satellite going. I would usually do this for a good few minutes (that is the downside to having too much choice) before settling on a channel. In this case curiosity got me early on in the process and I stopped looking after a record short time on the Sofia Coppola film: Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst. I'll admit this is not a film that ever drew my attention when it first came out and I'm now truly sorry I missed the opportunity to see it on the big screen. I've often passed it over for other much less worthy films at Blockbusters (I know that now) and I realise the folly of my pre-conceived attitude towards this work because I've since been completely seduced by it.

Never before have I seen such juxtaposition of the old and the new and Dunst is absolutely perfect for the role as directed by Sofia Coppola. I'll try to explain. Coppola has coupled the opulence of the 18th century with its manicured lawns, its haute couture, the grandeur of the Palace of Versailles and the decadence of the era with soundtrack of the 80s' post punk, new wave and its 90s' accomplished imitators. But it all makes sense, afterall what was Marie Antoinette if not a child queen who lived her life like a rock star - what else was a 14 year old supposed to do? Throw into the mix the understated sensual beauty and edginess of an actress like Dunst (known to exude both qualities off as well as on-screen) and Marianne Faithfull (who plays Antoinette's mother - Queen of Austria) and you have yourself a cult classic. It's all in the detail.

It's also the cleverest use of the art of film I've seen in quite a while though I really can't call myself an expert - I know what touches me and the effects of this film swept me away. I can't wait to own the film, buy the soundtrack and generally relive the emotions attached to the sights and sounds offered.

Sofia Coppola explained the rationale behind her treatment of the subject as being a way of bringing a truly misrepresented historical figure to today's world of celebrity, pop culture and teenage energy. She also just made it in the only way that would lure her to see what would otherwise just be another period drama. If like me and Ms. Coppola you are a child of the 80s and pop art nostalgia junkie then I challenge you to go see this film and not like it just a little bit.

Don't believe the propaganda of the revolutionaries - Marie Antoinette apparently never said "let them eat cake" quite the opposite in fact because when she was done with pastry and sweets there was nothing left for the proletariat. No, this was just a child who knew how to party and those were just the times. Who could have resisted the lifestyle when it was offered to you on a silver plate?

No comments: