Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday, I'm in Love

I feel the need to end this week's blogging (as George Costanza says) on a high. To the cynic out there, what I'm about to say will sound like drivel, like I'm clutching at straws, like I've taken a bit too much cough medicine but frankly it's the best I can come up with right now.

So let's see, it's Saturday tomorrow which means I get to have my whole family around me all the live long day. I'm also due for a dress fitting - I'm a bridesmaid at my sister-in-law's summer wedding and there is not a pastel, a trace of chiffon or a carnation in sight. It's black, sleek and very very wearable. So that's nice.

I've had two good friends get in touch today; like London buses you wait for ages and then three come in a row and by then you're so grateful you'd give the drunken bus bum the kiss of life - you know the one that sits on the top deck at the back and smells of poo? Him.

I'm tempted to talk about progress made on my 'novel' but I'm in danger of this becoming the blogging equivalent of a navel-gazing dance to The Cure. And there's a little bit of Schadenfreude about my post today (what kind of a Brit would I be if I didn't have a bit of a laugh at the expense of another); I have a friend who is around 50. Lovely, lovely man who is going through the Hurricane Katrina of midlife crises. He sent me a diatribe on how he feels he took the easy and safe route in life and how he wishes he'd taken a few more risks instead and best of all, he blames his wife. Well, me old china, I said, let me tell you a little bit about taking risks: they're overrated.

But I'm interested in ending on a high for this week. So I will: my daughter did her first unassisted pee in the potty yesterday and that now opens up a whole new world of adventure for us. And here's another high - I believe I've timed this potty training malarkey well. With Spring round the corner...(any day now) I won't find myself (too often) in the unfortunate position of hearing the words every parent dreads once the snowsuit goes on: Mummy, I need a pee pee.

No comments: