Monday, March 16, 2009

Art a Go Go

I was lucky enough to go to the AGO, Art Gallery of Ontario this weekend for free. I could have paid and I feel lucky for that too, but I didn't have to so who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

I did question how many people don't get to experience the wonder of art either because they can't pay or they simply won't pay but would go if cost wasn't an issue. I've been spoiled. Museums in London are free, all day, every day with the exception of special exhibits. As a result, I've been going to museums since I was a child and often they would be unplanned, spontaneous visits that happened simply because I was walking past. I've been to the Natural History Museum so many times I can draw a floor plan from memory.

It's a shame that museums here have to charge but I understand the business reality for these organizations. I also know they do their best to spread the love by offering free evenings and special half price nights and I'm sure this goes some way to including people on low or fixed income or from life environments where museums don't make it into their consciousness to grow from the enjoyment and inspiration that art offers.

Art and entertainment is and always will be a powerful community cohesive from the high-brow paintings hanging in galleries to bridge graffiti. I've said it before and I'll say it again.:The best things in life are free or have free evenings. Save the money for a snack and drink at the espresso bar on the 5th floor of the AGO while you debate the artistic merit of a blank canvas (that's one of the contemporary exhibits) while looking out onto the jumble of the urban canvas below. You can't put a price on simple pleasures of that kind anyway, so why bother. Just enjoy.

No comments: