Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I'll Take the Scenic Route

I just got off Facebook (marvellous invention) with a friend who I have known since I was about 3 years old. We grew up together in London, our parents from sunny Mediterranean countries happy to be making a life for themselves in a town that provided and continues to provide for all those brave people that leave behind everything they know in pursuit of something 'better'.

Having been brought up in this world, it's perhaps not that surprising that both of us decided to do the same - she to Australia and me to Canada. She made it 8 years. On April 1st (no joke) she is returning to Europe. After 8 really sunny years she had this to say, "In all that time, through all the great jobs, friends, parties and beaches - it never felt like home."

It's left me with a massive hole - the shape of home.

But what of our parents? they made a home outside of their native lands. Yes, temporarily for 30 years, in both our cases. Both sets of parents are where they belong now. Her's in Portugal and mine, metaphorically speaking in Spain - sadly departed. I think about my mum's peers in London and those who were not English are now back home too. Spain mostly but also India, Ireland and I know a family who went back to West Africa. The pull is too strong.

The issue occurs I suppose with international unions such as that of my husband and mine. He's Canadian and the thought of living in the UK makes him feel a little bit queasy. I'm not sure how well that augurs. For now, I must give this experience it's just deserts. I know everyone who has ever ventured outside of their comfort zone has become invincible in many ways.

I look forward to harnessing those superpowers. I wonder what kind I'll have? will I be able to make fire? freeze people, move at the speed of light or just grow my finger nails faster? Wait that's a Family Guy episode...you know what I mean.

Right now, I'm off to see if these emerging superskills will find a nice sweater for my soon-to-be brother in law's 30th birthday this weekend.

Where to guv'nor? Home please - take the scenic route.

No comments: