Friday, January 7, 2011

The first day of the rest of her life

Made it, just, to the end of the first week of work in 2011.  It's been utterly bonkers and frantic.  God there are a lot of wankers in the world aren't there?  However letting those work related frustrations leach into personal and private time is out of the question.  In fact, outside of these couple of sentences I won't think about those fucksticks again until I have to and even then I have developed a habit of pressing the professional reset button every Monday morning. 

This Monday however I don't have to worry about any of that because I've got the day off.  I'm taking the delightful and delicious Lisherlicious to her first day at Big School.  It's the only time I will be the 'mum at the gates' (unless I win the lottery) because despite all of the above, I love working and more to the point, I do actually love where I work.  A first.  Actually I really liked my jobs up until I went travelling and then something sort of unravelled for me there for a few years.  That's another story.

I was tempted to fall into a wistful nostalgia this morning at The Lish's last day of nursery.   The girls there are absolute diamonds but for every end there is a new beginning and truth be told, the thought of not having to trek half an hour out of my way every morning to the armpit of London (Kilburn High Road) is not something I will miss.  In fact, after dropping Lishy off, I trotted over to a coffee shop for to satiate the caffeine beast in me and found myself smiling at the fact that it was probably one of the last times.  From now on I'm off to live the high life in St. John's Wood.

That's were the new school is.  After a little creative letter writing I managed to get The Lish into a really good state school - for a while back there The Silverback and I were forced to consider private school but I just couldn't accept paying £5000 a term for Lishy to draw pictures all day long.  For a start we don't have that kind of dough, and for another start...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  Just as well because I don't think strip clubs pay much for women with C-section scars and saggy tits - the only way I was going to be able to afford such extravagances.

Thankfully I give good letter.  It did the trick with the local education authority.

Anyhoo - Lisherlicious now stands a chance of actually learning something of value at this place and with any luck she'll become friendly with Paul McCartney's daughter who I've been told is often seen shopping with her dad on St. John Wood's High Street.

Roll on 2011.

No comments: