Monday, January 3, 2011

Back to the new routine

Is it just me or have these holidays gone really really slowly?  It feels like an age (an ice age) since I was trotting home with a box of ridiculously expensive cupcakes to welcome my in-laws with who had made the journey over from Canada to spend Christmas with us.  And lovely it was to have them too.  The in-laws, not the cupcakes, though the cupcakes did look like this:
...and were indeed delicious, however it was the in-laws that made Christmas.  I mean that sincerely. 

But tomorrow is another day (as Scarlett O'Hara so astutely points out) and I can vouch for every member of this household that it's been a long time coming.  We're so ready to get back to 'normal' life, you'd think we were being held captive by pirates.  Boy, who knew you could have too much time off...

Let's not skip over Christmas so quickly though because there were definitely some highlights such as Christmas morning where The Silverback and I were more excited than a 4 year old to see whether Father Christmas had found our house.  Or the wet weekend in Bath.  Ok, so maybe that's not exactly a highlight but it was nice for the Canucks to see such splendid architecture.  For me it was a weird little trip down memory lane and a chance to exorcise a few ghosts from a place that has for some time contained both painful and amazing memories in equal measure.  Now, it is the place I visited with The Family.  There is life after death.

2011 may bring even more reinvention.  Exactly what shape it will take, I really don't know.  What I do know is that the truth sets you free, if you accept it.  I accept it.  But I also believe in second chances ...and miracles. 

And in my case, I'm gonna need a miracle.




No comments: