Thursday, February 3, 2011

Time out

After a long but positive meeting this morning at a client's offices, I parted ways with the head of department where I work who was on his way home to 'lock down' and get a report written and headed back to the underground to make my way into the office.  Filled with dread at the thought of having to plough through at least a hundred e-mails before I could even start on the 'to do' list, I could feel my blood pressure rise with every step.  But then, I stopped.  Looking at the big clock in the middle of the station, (I'd left my wristwatch in the bathroom) I asked myself...what's the hurry?  I need to eat. 

I bought a burger with chips and an orange juice - healthy no? and sat down to eat.  I didn't read, I didn't think, I just ate and looked at people coming and going.  It was nice. 

Then with a deep breath I stepped into the vortex, thankful that I am but one day away from the weekend.  I can't really tell you what else happened today - one task after another.  I will tell you that I got away at a reasonably decent hour and that I got home in time to see The Lish a little bit before beddy byes.  Small treats.  So you see taking time out for 20 minutes to just 'be' is the only thing that stands out about today (apart from my Lish's cheeky face beaming at me from the bath suds). 

I plan on doing more of that.

I'm also in less pain - the headaches have gone and while I'm still working on the pain in my right shoulder and arm (caused by overcompensating the left hand's mouse activity, that, plus a shit load of stress), I've made it a couple of days without pain killers.  This is progress.

As for the rest, I'm just taking it one day at a time.

No comments: