Thursday, January 8, 2009

Keeping it real, keeping it real

The other day a little girl reverently asked me if I was speaking 'British' because she'd heard that language before. She was in turn speaking to me in 'Canadian' which is fairly easy to understand if you already speak 'British'. The overall effect of speaking this exotic language is one of pedestal elevating splendour. I was dropping my daughter (2) who speaks 'British' and 'Canadian' and also understands 'American' at her daycare when said exchange happened. This in turn resulted in my girl being selected to present 'Star of the Week': an opportunity that allows the children to talk about who they are and what they like.

My child, being multi-lingual and a citizen of the world explained she was a 2 year old girl who was born in London, UK from a Canadian dad, British/Spanish mum and likes stickers. For this she was awarded a certificate of merit that noted in particular her good manners (that's the British side) and helping others (obviously the peace keeper in her).

Later that night it appeared the accolade had gone to her head as she swatted away the breaded fish I'd lovingly prepared from scratch for her and instead demanded chocolate milky and Elmo.

If she is not careful I shall be forced to strip her of the award. I cannot be party to fraud. I did that once when I bought a Millie Vanillie record and it scarred me for life.

No comments: