Saturday, April 25, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes

I will not take up your time, dear friends, with telling you what is the matter with me. Life is brief and you might pass away before I had finished. But I will tell you what is NOT the matter with me. I am no longer looking for work. And by that I mean, I got the job; THE job - not to be mistaken with 'a job'. Went after it like a cat bats at a piece of string and I snagged it (pending a short probation period). World! I'm back!

If you don't know, I've been actively job-seeking for the last 8 months since realizing that the job I am doing (writing for a music website) rewarding as it is, to basically be paid for a hobby was never really meant to be more than a hobby and happily a hobby it will be again.

Now at long last, I can unleash the carefully rehearsed casual gait designed to underline a carefree urban nonchalance whilst bobbing my head to an MP3 and really enjoy it, instead of pinging between faking that sentiment to dragging my chin along the floor in perpetual yearning for something more consistently social. I love music, even more to write about the talented and truly committed individuals that send their work my way to review - a honour to be asked. It requires however, spending a lot of time inside one's head and that can be a very isolating place at times. But now I want to laugh out loud except I don't have the room as I'm re-ordering my CDs and vinyl (if ever you wanted to see evidence of a misspent youth, it's strewn all over the office floor).

One more hurdle left: the nanny. The process started this morning. As one journey ends, another begins. I've chatted to people who've chuckled the sort of chuckle that goes with 330lbs and a fat head; who didn't sound like they'd drawn more than 3 sober breaths since January...last year and met with some for whom I had hoped, on closer inspection - such as I was hoping to avoid, that the longer I waited, the more fascinating it would give them time to become - all in vain. And one young lady that while harmless enough appeared to be directly wired to the moon. But as with the job search this too has an end. I feel it in my bones. Actually, I've already met the perfect nanny and I just hope she liked us enough to say yes.

All I need now is one of those wedged shaped weather systems coming up off the coast of Florida to make the last two weeks of home journalism a backyard bikini laptop experience.

My thanks to Jerome K Jerome for the comedic turns of phrases above, some of which I've directly lifted from his book 3 Men in a Boat (and a dog) written in 1888! yet reads as fresh as a Stephen Fry piece.


No comments: