Monday, April 6, 2009

What's your style?


Historically a city dweller, I'm a people watcher by nature. I love nothing more than to scrutinise the interesting, the dishevelled and the outrageous from the safety of a terrace or street cafe. I've noticed one recurrent theme over the years, most people (not all, I know) stop developing personal style at a specific point in their lives and settle on 'a look' that falls into one of three social categories: 1.) a time when they were most engaged (style culture) 2.) a time when they felt they were at their peak (looks) 3.) After a big life event - usually trauma (regression).


I'll try to explain. I was most engaged in a scene when I was around 19-20 years old. The scene was grunge, in particular female bands (or those that included a strong female influence) like Hole, L7, Babes in Toyland, Sonic Youth, The Breeders and Pixies to name but a few. I was deeply connected to the scene in London and was part of an unspoken sisterhood of Riot Grrrrrlsss. With this came a look that ranged from schizophrenic babydoll, lipstick-smudged camisoles to peel off, threadbare black leggings and ripped top. The 'look' was a product of retro thrift store finds and long saturday afternoons at Portobello Market. My mum stopped offering to darn things for me when she saw me cutting into a top once and finally 'got it'.


This thrown-together look and I can tell you there was nothing thrown together about the time it took to look this way, eventually seeped into the pop culture of the time. Main Street took over and whole sections of department stores started to stock the grunge look. I don't think anyone minded - it made no difference to where I sourced my look and I didn't care too much that 7 year old girls were beginning to adopt the look without realising who they were supposed to be emulating. The more Courtney Loves the merrier if you ask me.


I'm skating away from the point. The point is that today I still drift towards that look albeit slightly updated, (I mix designer with $5 finds and use conditioner these days) and cultures built around it. For example, I read Nylon mag even though it's mainly aimed at 17 year olds but I love the grunginess of the styles it champions. It's so retro - it's post modern!


Another example is the lady who never got past the way she looked in the 60s. You know the one? In her 60s herself, pouffy hair, white make-up, thick blue eyeliner and Mary Tyler Moore suits. See, this is a person stuck in an era where she most likely peaked and never updated her style since. She still makes her own mayonnaise, you know? that one. And good for her. I also know someone who dresses like it's 1975 - and it's not disco...but bless his heart, he too believes that long lapels and odd colours are the epitome of debonair.


Then there is the person who has something bad happen usually early on in life that they never emotionally get past and regress to dressing and acting a bit like a 12 year old. I almost fell into this category - thank god I didn't. Music saved me I guess.


Anyway, thing about all of this is that I'm thankful for all these people. They make a Saturday morning infinitely more interesting than the hordes of fleece and runner (trainers to the Brits) wearing masses that don't step out of their car unless it's to go to a Superstore. Hurray for styles!

No comments: