Monday, April 27, 2009

She Said Yes!

I like to think I know a good thing when I see one and so with my husband who conducted the nanny interviews (now that I'm back in the workplace, we need one) with the same earnestness as he would the search for a Chief Financial Officer, we wasted no time in offering the position to a most delightful supergirl, whose easy charm and natural posturings filled us with much comfort. She's 6'1, just to put the 'super' into context. I don't think anyone is going to mess with my daughter whilst in her care do you? Unless you were a ground-to-air fool and possessed turbo boots that could lift you to her eye level, though I dare say she'd still swat you away like a fly. Next to her I'm one of the Wizard of Oz munchkins. Well, in any event, the darling girl said Yes! and we are over joyed.

Finding someone to care for your most precious ward, a child is one of the most stressful things you can do. If I am to go to work and build a career, I owe it to my child to provide a quality and fun caregiver. I also owe it to myself. A career person since the day I graduated, I've made decisions after becoming a mother that required compromise and limitation on my part; a part I am honoured to play but now that my girl is close to school age (albeit JK) - it's important for me reprise a role in society that fulfills me and also provides her with a brighter future. Money my dear dear friends makes the world go round and don't we know it especially when there is a distinct lack of it.

So while love for my nipper is all pervasive and unconditional, my ability to pay for braces or a good education isn't, unless I take back possession of my career. Look at it this way: it's a win-win situation. She will thank me for it later when I can pay for her to go on a European jaunt even if right now at 3, it seems like a stupid and mean plan. She doesn't realise that I will miss being with her as much as she thinks she will miss me.

Acutely aware of the secondary role I will play once she is at 'big' school with her big friends in skinny jeans, I need to plan for that time now. See, I'm not a natural homemaker or stay-at -home mum and I don't make any apologies for that. But imagine how much worse it would be to be at home when the kid is at school? I have never baked a cake that was edible and while I like pretty things, trying to make anything nice is the craft equivalent of burning toast - something I do often and well. So I'd literally be wasted in the home.

By proactively going back to what I did before, I hope to instill in my girl, a dose of healthy self-worth and conviction that will ensure she is well equipped to make good decisions in times to come. By being me as well as a mum to her she will hopefully learn the importance of independence. And should anything happen to me, should I be called to write reviews for the harpists in heaven anytime soon, well, she'll be better equipped to deal with the fallout than a child that was molly coddled into her teens. Call me a doommeister, I know what I'm talking about.

I run the risk of sounding like I need to justify my decision beyond reason so I'll stop. Everyone's a winner today and tomorrow.

PS anyone who is looking for a nanny could do much worse than to check here www.canadiannanny.ca

No comments: