Thursday, December 16, 2010

Like the Corners of my Mind

I was out with a bunch of colleagues and clients from work on Tuesday - a very nice bunch actually.  We went to Zilli Fish in Soho.  It's been there a while, Aldo Zilli's first (I believe) eponymously named restaurant and in case you haven't guessed it does great fish and seafood dishes.  I had the pork belly - of course I would.  I like fish a lot but for some reason, I went for the pork.  I wasn't disappointed.  One of the people in our party ordered a plate of broccoli.  That's it.  Nothing else.  I've got nothing on her. 

No one said anything, it was the elephant in the room.  It's not like we'd gone to Pret A Manger and you decided you just fancied a pretzel.  It's like going to Le Caprice and asking for a bowl of boiled potatoes or in fact going to Zilli Fish and ordering the pork...or broccoli.  Hey, we fought two wars so that people could order a plate of broccoli if that is what they want.

Up until Tuesday, Zilli Fish was always that place an ex-boyfriend took a girl to when we were 'On a break' as 'Ross' would say...or was just two timing me, as 'Rachel' would agree (we were afterall still living together - you decide).  For this reason, I've never actually been able to walk past the place without a bristle of rancor running through me.  Going there almost 10 years after the fact felt weird but strangely manageable though, as you can see I couldn' t bring myself to order the fish. Odd how memories stay with you like that.

I recall the moment exactly when I confronted said naughty ex-boyfriend after finding a receipt for the meal. 

My exact words:

- So you can't even be bothered to come for a £2 drink with me but you can spend £90 on fish for some bint!! 

I have to say, I and indeed we (said naugthy ex) have since laughed about this line but I guess still waters run deep - especially the estuaries in my mind. 

I wonder what broccoli woman has against the fish in this place?

No comments: