Sunday, December 12, 2010

Red Carpet Capers



Another Sunday, another movie premiere.  No seriously, I've been writing reviews for Phase 9 again and this time I've been roped into reviewing childrens' films.  Last week it was Narnia.  They usually screen at 10:30, yes in the morning and the tickets usually stipulate you arrive at 9:30.  Now, if it wasn't for The Lish, there is no way on God's green earth you'd find me in Leicester Square on a Sunday at that time.  Ever.  But, let me tell ya - both times have turned out to be awesome experiences, though, a little word of warning, Walt Disney Productions are a little stingy with premiere audiences.  I guess not even Walt is immune to the effects of the credit crunch.

I went to see The Chronicles of Narnia last weekend.  It was my first film premiere since returning to London so I didn't really know what to expect but I wasn't expecting much over and above, a free film.  I was in for a real treat - or The Lish was - I should say.  The whole cinema has been made out to look like an enchanted winter forest.  There were face painters, photographers, caricature artists, food, food and more food!  I felt stupid with my £2.40 externally bought coffee when the exact same brand was being given out for free inside.  The Lish was catatonic; it was like a winter version of Willy Wonka's factory - candy everywhere.  The film wasn't bad either.

And today we went to see Tangled - a cheeky remake of Rapunzel - by the Disney Studios.  The film was amazing.  Honestly, I would recommend it even to people without kids.  It's a return to form for Disney without a doubt - though the freebies were a bit light on the ground.  This time coffee wasn't free.  Of course, this time I turned up without one.   Marvellous ennit.

Determined to scope out what there was up for grabs I muscled my way through a small throng to see what was on offer only to find a display of reptiles...FREAK knows why?  I mean, I know there is a little chameleon character in the film called Pascal - actually, a very clever little fella - my favourite character in the whole film but lizards and gheckos and ....I'm going to have to say this quickly and get the hell outta this page...snakes.

EUUGHHH!  Christ on a cracker - what were they thinking?  Well, I didn't hang about in the lobby after that. 

I had visions of a real-life 'Snakes in a Cinema' situation as I yanked The Lish towards the auditorium.

- But mummy, I want to get a butterfly on my face
- Butterflies are for stupid people...let's go babes - here's popcorn.  Careful!  mummy had to pay for that...

No comments: