Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sloth week

I am looking at a beautiful horizon.  One that involves not having to work for a whole week.  It's half term and like it or not, no school = no work.  Marvellous ennit?  I've been looking forward to spending a week with The Lish, just me and the bum bum doing fun mummy and daughter things.  And of course I will also fit in some slattern time.

I hardly see my little one during the week and don't get me wrong, I really don't beat myself up about it - I've tried the stay at home gig and it bored me into a wooden Kimono - I cannot lie - I am a much better mum, in work.  But now and again, a little one-on-one time is warranted.

I put a lot of thought into what we will do this week.  I'm pumped!  And then the holiday actually started. Cocking hell if I'm not already so irritated by it all I could put The Lish in a kennel and head back to the orifice.  And it's only day 1.  I am a terrible person.  Yes, I am and God will punish me.  Any day now The Lish will come home with a boyfriend who looks like something out of Shameless and then I'll be sorry. 

Before you jump to any conclusions here, I do DO stuff with the child.  This morning I spent a whole hour and a half cutting paper dolls out with her.  I then took her for a bit of fresh air and let her take her bike out in full knowledge that within minutes I'd be the one dragging the pigging thing around.  It's not like a normal bike where you can hang all your shit off.   It's just small enough yet somehow heavy enough to give you a slip disc AND a hernia.

Tomorrow, weather permitting I will go to the local farmer's market to look at food I would never buy on principal (local produce should not be more expensive than supermarket food that is flown in from Costa Rica) and run The Lish like a dog in the local park and pray that the sight of swings doesn't make me want to gouge out my eyes with my own thumbs. 

So far I have planned a day at a jungle jim, a day at a city farm, the Miro exhibition (it's basically drawings that look like a child did them - what could go wrong?), the dinosaur exhibit at the Natural History (ok, I will probably only go and look at the naked bodies in the Human Biology area - it's tradition), and I'm not going to lie - a lot of shopping for make-up, perfume and shoes.  I'm also thinking I may, just may go to Bournemouth.  My experience of hotel breaks where it's just me and The Lish though have always ended with me gorging on macadamia nuts and little bottles of spirits while staring blankly at the TV until 3am.

So maybe best I rethink that last item - after all if I want a long day full of restrictions and compromise - I've got work and this week is meant to be about playtime and freedom where anything can happen.  Wish me luck.

No comments: