Friday, December 19, 2008

The Divine Hammer

So far I've been getting the interviews but not the jobs and today I didn't even get the interview but to be fair and I'm not just saying it because...but I really wasn't that bothered.

Either I'm just having a bad run of luck jobsearch-wise (credit crunch not withstanding) or I'm being divinely guided towards doing what I came here to do. Write. I mean, I write. I keep this blog updated but it's more of a wonderwall than a body of work and of course I review new music for Phase 9.tv which is a little dream come true but as Madonna once said, 'I want more.'

I know what that 'more' is. I want to write a novel that people want to read. Though I don't ever start writing with that exact premise in mind. I'm more about entertaining or if I may be so bold, enlightening readers about things readers want to be entertained with or enlightened about.

I have started writing a novel (haven't we all); actually this will be my third serious attempt at creating something palatable. The other two bits of work being more of a practice run at the real thing. The real thing requires full time focus. This I have, all things said and done but of late I've been distracted by the need to feel purposeful. Without defining the criteria it's impossible to do.

In the past I was happy to be defined by job titles and salary and the trinkets these bought- or to put it succinctly, status. And I was falling back into this trap until my recent visit to London served up a warm plate of 'remember-how-much-you-hated-the-rat race?' followed by a steaming plate of 'I miss my baby girl and hubby.' I went to London without the family which was nice but only for a while. And I enjoyed London all the more because my days were free to explore and experience unlike when I lived and worked there.

So here I am back in the tundra a snow storm blowing around me and I mean BLOWING and i mean SNOW yet today, as long as I get my husband back in one piece (he flies back today from a business trip) and lady luck throws me a bone of some sort in the new year be it easy creativity, blissful living or even a silly part time job at a tattoo parlour I will busy myself with the business of purpose. This time it will entail writing like I really mean it and without fear. Oh and Santa please make me a good mum in 2009.

Love and peace to one and all. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

No comments: