Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Day

I'm pleased to say that Christmas Day was not the embarrassment I'd anticipated. While I wasn't exactly imaginative with gifts this year, I settled for practical and practical was appreciated. Thank you. Come again. In return, Santa's past exuberance was muted this year, as it should be, given the times. I got what I asked for and nothing more. This is good. Time to live within our means.

I won't be sad to draw a line under 2008. It has not been the easiest year for me. I've struggled with adjusting to my new environment (I moved to smalltown, Canada end of 2007 from London, UK). I let depression take hold and gave the symptoms too much credence instead of focusing on the goal. In some ways I realise I had to walk that path if I was to make this move a longterm decision; build from the ground up and put down solid foundations based on true appreciation for the kind of re-invention only new beginnings of this sort can offer (if you allow them to).

I've learnt to consume my friendships from back home with the long distance mentality I was lacking before. I continue to look for my niche here and it has become the adventure I needed it to be. While I wouldn't go as far as to say that I look forward to the new twists and turns the future has to offer, I no longer fear them. This time round, I intend to work with the 'black dog' of endurance as opposed to against him.

My troubles however pale in comparison to those of my friends. Two little children were lost in 2008 and I want to acknowledge them today as they now only live on in memory. No parent should have to bury a child. I wish them love, light and strength.

2009 doesn't exactly bode well for anyone but for those who have lost it brings the time that so many people assure you heals. And time does heal. You are never the same person, the light often goes out forever but stark as it sounds, fact is that life goes on for the living and eventually you do join their ranks even if you are just paying lip service.

Next year - but a few hours away, will I hope bring the world to it's senses. The auto bail out in the US is ridiculous to say the least and a colossal waste of money that should be put towards a combination of helping families keep afloat while the rest goes towards training and research into a more sustainable, renewable industry-led economy. This goes for Europe too. Of course none of this matters if we don't get the balance right for the environment. This is not Jurassic Park, but nature is indiscriminate when it comes to survival of the fittest and in this case the fittest cheated. Sadly we all know what happens to cheats.

I don't want to end on a negative note because as humans we have the ability to reason. I put my trust in that human reasoning and science. I have high hopes for the future and look forward to the dawning of a new era for us all.

No comments: