Monday, November 30, 2009

The 'to don't' list

Here are a few things that didn't happen to me today:  It didn't snow.  This is a good thing (the kind that is too good to be true but I'll take whatever I can at this stage in the way of good news) given we are already into December, more or less (in The Tundra, time stands still) and nothing - not even a single digit minus temperature.   Gratitude abounds.

I didn't feel the usual grip of ennui that I get everyday I look out of my bedroom window onto Edward Scissorhands Close (where I live).  I even noticed a piece of food wrapper swirling along the pavement, in a nihilistic sprint to nowhere.  Swirl paper! I willed it - while you still can before the compulsives and A-types that people this street cut your fun short and recycle you.

I didn't turn off the Christmas tree lights when I left the house this morning and am only thankful they didn't short circuit and burn every last beam to the ground.  My husband will be proud.

I didn't make the bed, or set the dryer so I have no socks again. Luckily, it isn't that cold (see point 1) - I have time. And frankly the bed is about to be slipped into again tonight so who's going to notice?

I didn't go shopping for food - my absolutely favourite pastime of all, after unloading the dishwasher and putting clothes away. 

And finally, I didn't have a glass of wine that turns into 4 but I'm about to do that now in order to kick start my list of things I did do which I hope to expand on in the next blog post, if I can see through the fug of alcohol and despair tomorrow morning.

Here, I'll get a headstart in now.  I did break all my positive thinking rules and  I did dwell on the negative side of everything...as you can see.

No comments: