Monday, March 29, 2010

The More Things Change....

I spent Sunday with my bezzie friends.  It started with lunch at a pub by Little Venice Canal.  That in itself was delightful enough but for me the feelings ran much deeper than just being happy to see them again, happy to be a part of their lives again and them, mine.  I watched my friends order and chat about events of the week and couldn't believe it had been over two years since I'd last done this.  No longer was I Carrie Bradshaw in my equivalent Paris, looking into coffee shops at groups of girls doing just this...no I was on the inside again.  Mr. Big didn't come looking for me, but Mr. Big did bring me home.  I thank him profusely.

Never have I experienced the saying: Plus ca change.   The easy conversation, the assumption that I would go on to one of their houses for cake and gossip - like I had never left.  I'm humbled by their easy acceptance of someone who so wholly left London, hissing and spitting at everything about it.

In fact not only that - the stories unravelling around this table proved that time stands still for no-one.  A friend of mine has stage 3 breast cancer.  The numbers aren't good.  I am not sure how I feel about that except to say well, not great.  It's time, definitely time to appreciate everything and everyone around me whatever happens now - whether I feel London is working or not...in fact there is no room in my life for that kind of attitide any more.  I had the last dance with the demon of ingratitude in Canada.  Now, it's time to live, love, laugh and cry.

2010 is going to be an interesting year.

No comments: