Monday, March 8, 2010

Time is not on my side

I was at once outraged and grateful that The Oscars were bizzarely not shown on UK TV last night.  I mean what?  But since I had to be up bright eyed and bushy tailed today to limp over to the estate agents in search of a more permanent living arrangement than what we currently have, it was for the best since Oscars tend to start late and go on later.

Add to this that I had taken very strong painkillers for ye olde broken foot, I was in no state to fight the droop.  No instead I went to bed and fell into a hazy sleep from which I was awoken by ill begotten thoughts I have so far managed to keep leashed.  Will I find a flat in time? Has the money been wired? Will I ever drop the last 10lbs of baby fat.  How will I ever pay for my old age? and so forth.

To my credit (even if I do say so myself), I am getting good at taking one slice of thought pie at a time (wish it were so with real life pie) and am glad to say that within an hour of waking I had contacted the real estate vultures and confirmed that for once in my time as a client TD Canada Trust was as good as its word.

Terrifyingly, that left pretty much the whole of the rest of the day to fill with a precocious 3 and a half year old who is weeks if not months away from joining a new daycare - so I took her to the only place I could think of that would entertain, educate, tire out and put hairs on her chest.  The Natural History Museum.

To my amazement The Lish was like a drama school brat to a sniff of celebrity when it came to the interactive elements of the human biology section.  Lights indicated the body's journey through human reproduction; the digestive system; cell biology; the nervous system.  It was fascinating but The Lish was all about the levers and buttons - she couldn't give a shit about the journey.  Human genitalia does not thankfully yet hold the fascination it one day will.  Can't wait...

She didn't however touch the dinosaur exhibit with a barge pole; wouldn't even step through the threshold to that exhibit.  Too scary mummy.  That's cool - we'll save that for another time and besides mummy was deliriously tired.

By 3pm I was lying comatose on the bed  in the hotel room crippled by the remaining jet lag.  Lishy refused to sleep so I removed all temptations and wires to above waist height, locked the room and left her to her own devices - I mean how much damage can a child do in a room the size of a modest kitchen.  I expect I'll find out when we move out.

Though I would have slept until midnight, I realised I would need to feed said spawn before Daddy Cool returned from his first day as Head Talent Honcho and it took all my strength to rise from my beloved horizontal position.  Looking at the watch I realised the night was horrifyingly young and if there is one thing I can't stand is a bored child.  So we went to see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.  A controversial choice? maybe but it was that or The Lovely Bones and I don't think that would have been appropriate at all...well it was that or risk turning into the Red Queen myself stuffed in my rectagular kingdom with an insolent, bored child.  Off with her head!

Ah, tomorrow is another day.  What to do, what to do! 

No comments: