Saturday, January 2, 2010

One Day at a Time

First post for 2010 and all I want to talk about is what a lovely day I had yesterday but good news doesn't sell does it? Gosh life is long isn't it? Shall we have a little rest?


So here is what I know for sure about the coming few weeks. My part-time jobette at well known Canadian chain of bookstores ends and not a moment too soon. Books rock. Let me just say that one more time: Books are the present, the past and the future. I don't care whether you buy them online, in stores, used or electronically - they are the coolest things since Vinyl LPs and have outlived them by decades so anyway, that's all I have to say on the subject of books.

Retail on the other hand sucks donkey balls. It's not so much the whole dealing with 'people' side of things because often it's a joy to help people find a good book and contrary to most of my UK friends' and husband's opinions about me and my 'people skills' - I think I fared very well indeed. No, retail literally sucks. It sucks your weekends away and any traditional family time. For example at 6:30pm on Christmas Eve, if you still need to be shopping for anything (let alone Christmas presents) - you simply don't care enough about anyone at all and therefore don't deserve shops to still be open for you.

The other thing I know for sure is that the branch I was working for is full of creative and talented individuals who are truly pursuing their dreams from filmmaking to graphic illustration, they all take on these roles as a means to an end. Don't ever underestimate people who work in bookshops and please don't be rude to them because a.) they are likely more qualified than you are and b.) they don't get paid enough to be have to take any bullshit. But it's up to you to decide in the end.

I know too that I will be a qualified, certified (certifiable) bona fide, honest to goodness, ground to air Yoga instructor who will arrive in London sometime in March ready to rumble. I have packing, home & car repairs; the sale of the century to organize, a few farewells to attend to and a lot of Yoga to enjoy in between.

My husband is all about planning for the next step, a.k.a The Future; connecting with the right networks and the small matter of accommodation etc... - it's what he is all about these days and to be fair, it's kind of his job which he does extraordinarily well but me? well I've learnt my lesson about living in the future and building expectations thereof. No, outside of the things I've listed, I have today and that is all I'm going to concern myself with. Tomorrow will take care of itself in good time.

No comments: