Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Stir the Meat Sauce


Do you remember the part in Goodfellas where Ray Liotta is arranging for Lois the nanny and a relative's baby to be cocaine mules?  Meanwhile he has to deliver guns to Jimmy, take the coke to Sandy's to cut with Quinine, detour to his wife's mother's to hide the guns that Jimmy now doesn't want, make a red herring trip to the supermarket to throw off the helicopters that have been following him all day and STIR THE MEAT SAUCE so it doesn't stick to the pan.

Well, apart from all the illegal stuff there, that is pretty much how my next few weeks will be including a possible early trip to Madrid to sort a banking issue out.  Christ on a cracker - I'm going to need all the mantras, mudras, meditation and masugganahs I can get to make this a smooth transition.  I have been praying (my kind of praying) for an easy ride - actually I think it's going to be ok, I just hope it's not going to be OK in the Goodfella's sense where Ray gets done and the only way to stay out of jail is to cut a deal.   Mind you if I do have to cut a deal, I guess I will and that will be ok too.  Everything is going to be A-OKAY.  Can you sense the manic edge?  

But the house has been put through the house version of a car wash and tune up, so of course now (that we are soon to vacate it) the house is in the best shape ever.  It's always the way.  I've sold 3 houses I've lived in so far and every single time they've really only started coming into bloom the week they go on the market.  So then I find myself, wrung out, strung out and sitting in a house that I love and don't feel like selling anymore.

Odd then that up until that point I seemed quite happy to live with leaking toilets and dripping taps, gashes in walls and stains on carpets.  Typical.

I have to wonder whether it's a trait or just a symptom of never having really committed to any house.  I have a feeling that the next place we get will in fact finally be that home I only ever see during the For Sale period.

The home inspection happens today.  I'm feeling good with a healthy dose of nerves added to the mix but once this is out of the way then it's time to stir that meat sauce because the extravaganza is only just beginning.

No comments: