Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Cold Boulder

I'm getting back into rock climbing - hallelujah!! hallelujah!! hallelujah!! and it only took the prospect of minus 10 degree weather (moderate by Canadian standards) to prompt a decision I've been putting off a while. My own fault. At best, I tend to cogitate, over think and can be incredibly indecisive. At worst I try too many things at once and end up achieving very little. It's all about the trade-off. I am consciously giving up time that I would otherwise spend at home, drumming, writing or just hanging with the family but due to reasons described earlier...I actually wasn't getting much of these things done so might as well get out, focus on one thing and make it through this winter without too much collateral damage (well maybe a week in Hawaii is justified - just to take the edge off 31 weeks in Tundra-like conditions).

Last year I moped around like "Girl, Interrupted" for close to 6 months. I found myself struggling with S.A.D like symptoms and taking it out on my nearest and dearest. Not this year. Now that I know what's coming, I know I don't have the resolve of last year - nor does my husband. So I'm off to do a refresher course in lead climbing and then just try and stop me from getting really good over the winter. And after that - try and stop me from going to the best most 'bitchin' outdoor climbing areas in the world over the summer.

When life throws you a curve ball - if you can't whack it, at least dodge it.

No comments: