Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Quiet Canadian

Having realised that many large companies in Canada with a need for what I do i.e. corporate relations run the corporate bit from either the US or Europe, I was stumped to say the least, as to what my next move might be. I could just stay at home and try to write a novel but that doesn't pay the daycare and I can't write with the peals of a 2 and a half year old ringing in my ears.

Instead I took advice from the most helpful Canadian networking associate I've met to date who told me to become more targeted in my approach. Canadian companies that run their corporate business out of Canada have to fall into a particular turnover bracket with workforce numbers to match. With this information in hand, I trotted off not exactly with a spring in my step, but at least with my curiosity aroused. I knew about RIM for example (makers of the Blackberry) being Canadian. I also knew about a few others that I'd come across in my day to day existence (hardware stores, fast food chains) but I needed a few more poker chips to gamble with than that. So last night I went on a Google fest and I've just been through the most amazing journey of Canadian corporate discovery.

Here's what I found out about truly successful global Canadian companies. They have quietly gone about their business like chameleons. They move into a market, blend in and seem to be local. For example did you know the following companies are all Canuck? Companies like Umbra, McCain Foods and Aldo Shoes are global players in their markets. Most people outside of Canada don’t know Cirque du Soleil or BlackBerry are Canadian, a huge strength in a global market and at last really good news for me. Perhaps I might also take a leaf out of the chameleon's book and apply it to my current dilemma of sticking out like a sore thumb.

Wish me luck. Global players or not - a recession is a recession.

No comments: