Thursday, November 6, 2008

Guilt by Another Name

I'm not one for U-turns but I am one for realistic goal setting. As you know the house it up for sale and I've long wanted to move to the city. I feel confident that our house will sell fairly quickly despite the current economic times. What I'm not so confident about is that we'll find the house we want in Toronto quite as fast. I've decided not to over analyze things and to just go with the flow. That said I won't be making any rash decisions or relinquish the power to decide.

With all this in mind, I've decided to put into place a contingency (business people call this Business Continuity planning) and so to this end I finally approached an animated posse of nannies at the local library whom I have been secretly surveying for months, to ask about the possibility of engaging one of them in the task of looking after my sweet if somewhat temperamental 2 and a half year old should the job hunt end before the living situation gets resolved.

See, I relocated to the world of trade-offs from the world of choice the minute I became a mum. Work-life balance is another saying for 'you can't have it all'. Ultimately you have to buy-into the life choice made and realise that doing anything half-heartedly will only end in tears of regret and a lifetime of non-completion. How do you decide what part of a child's life is more important? Personally I want to be able to provide for my child when things get truly expensive and that means gaining traction now in my career. Love comes free and that is available on tap, always has - always will. Education and designer clothes don't.

No comments: