Monday, November 10, 2008

False Economies or to put it another way The End of Delusion

Making self-serving rash decisions are equally as damaging as not acting at the right time. The key is being confident that it is 'the right time' to do something. To be more precise, I've come to the painful realisation that right now is not 'the right time' to move to Toronto as much confidence as I have in my ability to find the 'right' job and be able to balance the books with the income it would provide.

It just doesn't pay to rush important life decisions and for the moment selling at a loss, or even just breaking even to buy a sub-standard place in the city (money buys less in the city whichever way you look at it) that in two month's time may fall into negative equity could turn out to be more stupid than the time I returned that pair of diamond earrings I mention in my profile.

So while I am not immediately taking the house off the market because after all the world has never known an economic situation like this one - it really all could go either way. The pragmatist in me knows that a financial collapse of this sort will not be resolved by January 2009 like a diseased liver (providing it hasn't already fallen down the wrong side of cirrhosis) takes about the same amount of time to heal as it did to get to the state where it was making you yellow.

So...let's see. I am now back to being stuck in the suburbs for reasons not of my, but greedy bankers' making. Great. Well, I have a choice: sit here purging and moaning forever and a day or make the burbs work for me. Last night as I lay wide awake in bed unable to pinpoint the reason for my insomnia; I have a beautiful healthy child, a roof over my head, a couple of cars in the driveway and a fridgeful of food....I made the decision to not have any more sleepless nights over this. I'll admit I've had a hard time adapting which has led me to overlook all the good stuff, still I'm not beating myself up about it. It's human nature especially when there has been so much change to deal, not to mention the crippling loneliness on a scale I had no idea existed. No, I've got enough going on navigating the Canadian job market.

On this last note , the interviews keep coming so I must be doing somthing 'right' - there's that word again.

I think I'll work on finding some Canadian friends instead and start planning for Chrimbo.

No comments: