Saturday, November 1, 2008

Substitutes are no Substitute for the Real Thing


The "For Sale" sign has gone up outside the house here in this little commuter town of Oakville and Toronto proper beckons. Let the extravaganza begin! I've been in Oakville now for nine months and it has felt very much like a pregnancy. Right about now I just want it all over and done with and I hope this time it's not going to feel too much like a Cesarean. The only section I want is the one that takes me to the mental hospital if this all fails.

There was a lot of emotional investment in this initial move to Canada and I admit I made a mistake moving to the suburbs - I mean what was I thinking? A city girl like me? But crazy as it sounds I can admit (now that this frumpy phase has an end in sight) that there are things I have grown fond of in this here quaint (see I'm calling it quaint now) town that I will miss when I move to the big smoke. Don't tell my husband. He's been giving Spiderman a run for his money climbing the walls with what he calls my bovine dysfunction (the grass in that field is greener than the cud I'm chewing in this here bog).

He's not entirely convinced I'm going to like Toronto either and well if that happens New York is only an hour and a bit away....but I jest. Of course I'll like Toronto, I already do. It's where the magic happens.

It's funny where desperation leads to find solace. Here's one for you. At the end of my road there is a graffiti stencil (no bigger than a kitten) of a mouse holding a spray can doing graffiti - it's so clever I call it 'The Banksy". It's not of course but I feel at home with it. That stupid little mouse with its backpack and can of spray paint underpinned my far away cultural points of references that were beginning to sag and I love it for that. Sometimes I go and look at it just to make sure I still exist. Have you heard anything more tragic? Hey - whatever it takes to get you through the night right? Well yes and no. The time comes when you have to take stock of what is real and what isn't. When fantasy outweighs reality - it is time to wake up and smell the poutine (a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy and is a quintessential Canadian comfort food - what can I tell ya?).

2 comments:

Jonas-McGee said...

Oakville aint alll that bad is it? Surely as one of Canada's most affluent communities, great schools, safety for kids...all of these you won't get in the big smoke will you?

Conde Homer said...

I beg to differ. Nowhere is ever that bad as long as you are prepared to fight the good fight and make it work. That said - the concept of happiness is very subjective. Glad you like Oakville. Good luck.